Tuesday, July 17, 2012

To Be or Not To Be

   Remember when I complained about my flat on the seventh floor? Well today we made the trek up 528 steps to the top of St. Paul's Cathedral. It was absolutely beautiful up there. You can see a 360 view of the city. And it wasn't raining. What more could I ask for? The cathedral itself has been my favorite one so far too. On the ceilings there are beautiful mosaics made from 1 inch glass pieces that  were painted. I was in awe that someone would have the patience to do that. I definitely couldn't. 
   After the tour in St. Paul's we rewarded ourselves with a little Starbucks and made our way to the Millennium Bridge. It is a fun pedestrian bridge across the river Thames. It was also featured in Harry Potter. So you know, it is kind of a big deal. We had a fun walking around and taking pictures. 
   To end the day we went and saw Richard III in the Globe Theater. I sat in seat B2 (hence the cliche title. Couldn't resist.) This is the second longest play of Shakespeare next to Hamlet. And it was, er, um. Long. Nearly three hours. British people must be a lot smarter than Americans or at least me when it comes to Shakespeare because I had no idea what was happening. Everyone would laugh and I would just be like, "oh, ha ha ha." I understood probably 10% of the plot. 9% of that from the synopsis we read before we left. I was really glad I went though. Such a cool experience. This is the kind of entertainment I would have enjoyed back in the good ol' days too. It was very authentic too, with an all male cast. The King was very funny and had anger management problems. My favorite part was the 2 minute fighting scene. The fact that is was at the end I am sure had nothing to do with it. 
 St. Paul's Cathedral.
Going to the very top!
London 360 view.
Hanging out with these lovely ladies and exploring the Millennium Bridge. 
My experience at Globe Theater. I am very cultured now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment