Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Les Magic of it All

   What a great day! A great, great day. After classes, Saundra, Anne, Meg, Jessica and I went to see Big Ben, the London Eye and the River Thames. It has been almost a week since we have been staying in London and we still have not seen any of these major sites so it was a must do. We walked along the river and found some more touristy things we needed pictures with. We eventually made our way to Trafalgar Square and stopped in the National Gallery. 
   I love art museums. Every room you walk into you are just surrounded by beauty. I saw pieces from Monet, Van Gogh, and Pissarro. I want to go and explore more because there are many I have not seen yet. My favorite I saw today was A Wheatfield With Cyprusses by Van Gogh. I must admit, I was never fully appreciated impressionist art until I went to this museum. They always seemed beautiful in books but never would I have thought they would have the impact they did in person. When you can see the brush strokes and the technique of the artwork in person, it changes it all. Such beauty. After all our walking, we needed a treat! Hot Belgium waffle with gelato and caramel sauce? I think yes. Best dessert I have had here so far. What a great way to end the beginning part of the day.
   Somehow, the day continued to get better. We went to see Les Miserables. We prepped for seeing it by listening to the music on Youtube. But wow, what a show. It was my first time seeing it performed and it was magical. I went into the play a bit skeptical. Kind of on purpose though. Everyone always hounds people who haven't seen it with how amazing it is. I did not want to go into it with too high of expectations. I knew everyone loved it but I wanted to find out for myself. I discovered that it is true, people talk about it so highly because it is amazing. It was probably the most well done musical I have ever seen. The stage rotates and all the singers are simply outstanding. You get so drawn in to the stage, production and story of it all. When it was intermission I was sad because that meant it was halfway done to being over. I wanted it to keep going forever! But, stories must end sometime I guess. With all this said, Wicked is still my favorite. Which is tomorrow. Ah! So excited for it all.

 You walk out of Westminster station and Big Ben is right there!
Hello London Eye.
 Such tourists. 
Trafalgar Square. 
Cutest little boy and the street performer.
Yum.
Les Miserables. 

No comments:

Post a Comment