Friday, July 20, 2012

A City of Lights

   This time, when I found myself 60 feet underground, in dark cramped spaces, surrounded by bones it was my choice. We visited the Catacombs today. What a unique experience. The catacombs are pretty much a city, underground made of six million peoples bones. No joke. I did not even know this existed before coming here. We had to wait in line for over two hours but it was totally worth it. Back in French history (don't remember exact date they started) they decided to empty out the cemeteries at chapels for health reasons. They moved on the dead bodies underground. Where they stayed. The catacombs have a weird crazy history, including the Nazis using them as bunkers during the second world war. It goes on for a mile, underground, of neat, organized walls of skeletons. Looking back, I can't believe I did that. Medical things, dark things, underground things, are the opposite of me. But, I am so glad I experienced it. I walked through it with a running mental thought of, "Wow! This is so cool!" "Oh my goodness, these use to be real people. This is too weird." "This is really amazing!" "Okay, I have seen enough I want to leave." "Look at all this! How crazy." and on. It was kind of exhilarating.
    Our next stop was our date with the Eiffel Tower for lunch. Yum. Almond cream croissant was had among other delicious food. We enjoyed sitting on the lawn after a long morning at the catacombs. We then headed to the Orsay museum. We say great works from Monet, Degas, Van Gogh, Pissaro, Manet and more. I love impressionism. The museum itself was quite a site to see too. We then made our way over to the Louvre. We decided not to go inside but we took pictures and had fun walking around that and the Touilleurs. One of my favorite things to do is just to walk around the city. Especially in parks. The sun was shining. And we are in Paris. How wonderful is that.

   The next long line happened now. We went up to the top of the Eiffel Tower. Oh my goodness, one of my most treasured experiences in my whole life. Yes, the line was long and crowded but we had fun talking and telling stories. We went up at the perfect time. When we were on the second deck before going all the way to the top the sun was setting, the lights in the city were starting to turn on, the sky was pink and blue. Perfection. Gorgeous. Beautiful. Amazing. And more. While we were up there the lights on the Eiffel Tower lit up. We were able to see it sparkle while being on it. I don't think I will ever be able to adequately describe the beauty of it all. Then, by the time we made it to the very top, the night was a dark blue, the Tower was lit and the city lights were twinkling. Most amazing view. I wish I could have soaked it all in forever. I want to remember that moment. Looking over Paris. A city of lights and magic. It was surreal. Nothing better to explain it. So surreal. I loved experiencing it with all these girls I have gotten to know so well on this trip. What a great moment. When we got down to the bottom we had to do a group hug. To remember the moment. This is a time in my life I will never have again. The night was so perfect. Paris is definitely everything I thought it would be. And more. 
 Catacombs.
 Day 2 lunch at the Eiffel Tower. Trying to recreate it.
 At the Orsay.
 The Seine. 
 Photoshoot at the Louvre. 
 Paris is beautiful.
 Waiting in line at the Eiffel Tower.
The Eiffel Tower at night. Beautiful 360 degree views.

1 comment:

  1. oh i'm sure just hanging with the girls was why it was so perfect ;)

    ReplyDelete