Thursday, July 19, 2012

A Lunch Date With The Eiffel Tower

   Where to begin! I can't even remember all that I did today. Okay, it all started with our trip to Versailles. This is a bit out of Paris and so we took an overground double-decker train to get there. But first, we weren't exactly sure which train to use. And the language barrier has become a little bit of an issue when we are trying to figure things out. We are standing by the train in our group trying to figure out what our plan should be and this man, who is wearing a saxophone around his neck keeps saying "Versailles?" and pointing and shaking his head. At first we thought he was asking for directions and we kept trying to say, "I don't know in French." (side note: I have learned a whole slew of French phrases so far. I even have a entire interaction in French today. Consisting of, "excusez-moi? Merci." Totally becoming professional.) But anyways, we figured out that instead of asking the directions he was telling us directions. How am I suppose to trust directional advice from some guy with a saxophone around his neck? Well, we went for it. So thank you saxophone guy. During our time on the train, the saxophone guy and his accordion friend came and performed for the train. It was great, and so French. I guess. 
   Okay, let me tell you. Versailles might be my most favorite place I have gone so far on this trip. Maybe it was the exhilaration of being in a foreign country (Okay, I have been in other countries now but this one actually seems foreign with the language barrier and all.) or the maybe it is just the magic of Paris. I absolutely loved this place. It is huge. We decided to opt out of the actual palace tour (too expensive and takes a lot of time to wait to go in) but the gardens. Oh, the gardens. How I loved it. You could absolutely get lost there. They are gorgeous. Yes, I have been to castles but this was the first time my inner little girl princess came out. There are the short maze-like hedges, and flowers, and fountains, and lakes, and so much to explore. It was beautiful. We literally pranced and danced around the garden. It was pure bliss.
   The day got even better. We had lunch at the Eiffel Tower! Apples, cherries and a chocolate baguette. Sitting on the Eiffel Tower lawn. How perfect. It was so fun getting there too. We walked out of the metro trying to orientate ourselves to were the actual tower was and then all the sudden, I look up and BAM! there the Eiffel Tower is. I don't know how we didn't see it before, we were practically walking under it. It was great to sit and spend some time. Just me, my friends (all the other tourists) and the Eiffel Tower. Something I will never forget.
    After our lunch break with the Eiffel we went to Notre Dame. After we toured inside we walked along the river, shopped and found the Love Lock Bridge. It was super fun. On another note, I made a big decision in my life. I am going to start collecting old vintage post cards. I made my first purchase of one today. I absolutely love letters, postcards and all things mail. It is so beautiful to see the old postcards, with handwriting and the notes. Okay, maybe I can't read the one in French but it is still so magical. There was a shop in Portobello that also had old postcards (where I got the idea from Jessica) so I must go back and get one there as well. I wish I could have bought them all. Maybe one day I will have a book full of them from around the world.

 Welcome to the Versailles Palace.
 The Versailles Gardens. Had to throw in a little gymnastics.
 First view of the Eiffel Tower!
 Eating lunch at the Eiffel Tower!
 Notre Dame. 
Shops on the Siene and the Love Lock Bridge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment