Saturday, July 7, 2012

Strolling Through the Market

    We have class on Saturdays too. That is how my morning began. I shouldn't complain about having them though because we only have 18 or so days of class. And we are given a few days off so we can go to Paris. I guess class on Saturdays is worth going to France.
   After class and a trip to a the grocery store we went to explore Portobello Market. It was busy and packed and I loved it. My wallet my not have survived but I had a great time exploring the different shops and vendors. The closest thing I can relate it to is Portland's Saturday market or Pike's Place in Seattle. They had many antiques. Which were great to look at. From old maps to vintage books and sewing machines. I could have spent even more time there just looking at all the little gadgets they had and taking pictures of it all.
    I think my best purchase of the day was a ring with an amber stone. When my sister went to London on a study abroad she brought me back amber earrings and a ring. I was in love with the ring. I loved it so much I put it on right away and went to a Christmas party to show all my friends. Unfortunately, I lost it in the snow. I was so disappointed that I had lost it on the first day I wore it! We even went back to my friends house with a metal detector to look for it. Never did find it. This made me determined to find one again while I was here. After getting the price down a few pounds I purchased the perfect one. I am currently wearing it right now too so that means it has lasted longer than the first. I must go back to Portobello before I leave. The place was huge and we did not even make it to the food part of the markets. Homemade Belgian waffles? A must. 

Portobello Road.
Street performers. 
Antique books.
My new amber ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment