Friday, June 29, 2012

You Only Live Once?

June 28th, 2012
    This morning started off bright and early. We had a 7:20am time for the ferry so we were off on the bus by 6:30am. And it was pouring. Nice. Good way for Ireland to say goodbye to us. But off we were headed to Wales. The ferry we took was really nice. Almost like a miniature cruise ship. I wouldn't really know how nice it was because I slept nearly all three hours we were on it. I did stop my nap to do some homework by interviewing these super nice elderly chaps (I can say that now because I am in Europe right?) for my varieties of English class. That was my productive part of the morning.
   Once in Wales we went to Beaumaris Castle. This castle was different than the rest because it was a castle within the castle. And it had a mote. So that was neat. Fun fact I remember from the tour is that it was built back in 1295. There was a chapel inside that had really great acoustics so our group ended up singing a hymn. It was a great moment to have with our group. A little cheesy to say that? Yes. But it really was. 
   The next stop was uh.. a special one to say the least. When my sister did study abroad a few years ago she went to a mine. I specifically remember saying, "I will never do that." So how did I end up wearina hard hat in a small box thing descending into a mine? I think it was the long bus ride and early morning that made me a little out of it. I didn't even realize what was going on. Those tricksters. I hate:
1. Darkness
2. Small spaces
3. No clear exit
4. Being trapped.
   Mines? Check, check, check and check. If I was to die somewhere on this trip this place would be it. But I did it. It really wasn't that bad but it was the whole idea of being it down there. At one point in the tour they said we were seven stories down and there were eight more below. After this information they instructed us to follow the stairs down even farther. Uh, how can I say no thank you politely? But it was a really neat experience. Once again I was reminded how blessed my life has been. 
   I already decided I like Wales more than Ireland. Maybe it is the fact there is a castle here called the Croft castle but I am loving it. There are more mountains and trees. It seems more "nature-y" if that is even possible. I just love it. 


June 29th, 2012
   I guess I should start off by talking about last night. I love when you have an unexpected fun night. The [lace we stayed at for our first night in Wales was er... different than the other places we have been. It was a large guest home with only a few showers for our huge group. Our whole study abroad group took over the whole house. The professors for the program apologized for it. There was no internet but there were big rooms to hang out in. We made our own fun. We had a group dinner of traditional welsh food and fish and chips, there was a Pride and Prejudice reenactment, we danced to Shrek, took Renaissance pictures and told scary stories. We filled that house with our laughter. This place ended up being the most fun places we have been. This is what I love most about this group of girls. We all just go with the flow of things. No need to be stressed. We are here for the experience. And it has definitely been a great one. These are the memories I'll remember the most. More than any beautiful scenery or castle but the people I share it with. 
   After switching to a much smaller coach we made our way to Caernarfon Castle. Yup, this is not deja vu, but we really saw another one. This one was technically considered a palace. We were suppose to hike today but the weather was not good enough so we visited a castle. Wales has a plethora of ones to choose of. So we are in no short supply of them. The rest of the day was spent exploring small towns throughout Wales. 
   I'll I know now is that my brain is fried, I am full of vegetable soup and I am completely exhausted. 
 Ferry ride.
 Beaumaris Castle.
 Slate mine.
 Best homemade ice cream in Wales.
Represent BYU in Wales!

No comments:

Post a Comment