Sunday, June 24, 2012

A Kiss for the Storybooks

   This morning we were able to go to a branch in Cork for church. I think we doubled the amount of members that were there. I love this about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, no matter where you are you can find other members and the church is still the same. The same principles and topics are taught and you can feel the same spirit. It was great to talk to the members and see what church is like at a small branch. There were two missionaries in front of me during the first hour and it made me think of all of my friends (and sister!) that are scattered around the world doing the exact same thing. Teaching and serving other people in many different countries. I am glad I got a little glimpse of that kind of life.
   After church we went to Blarney Castle. This has been my favorite castle that we have visited so far. There were vines growing on the side and the castle looked like it hadn't been touched in ages. The last castle we had been to was all made up inside which was great to see but I liked to see the ruins of the castle. It was beautiful. 

   At the top is the famous Blarney Stone. The myth goes, if you kiss the stone you are given the gift of eloquence. You have to kiss it upside down though. And it is about three flights or more up. We walked up 100 steps in a tiny spiral staircase in the castle. So it is pretty high. And you kind of lean over the edge a bit. There are handrails and funny guys to help you though. It was so much fun! When I kissed it I looked down and could see the green grass all the way at the bottom. I felt exhilarated after. Maybe a bit of adrenaline kicked in after thinking you might die while trying to kiss a stone. It was a lot to take in a millisecond of time.
   After the Blarney stone we went to the Cobh. Cobh is the last stop the Titanic took before it sunk. It is a very picturesque town on the water. We walked around and stopped at a beautiful cathedral and listened to a part of a Catholic Mass. During our stop I really had to use the restroom though. We were looking around for one on the streets so I could go. Jessica and I found one but you had to pay 25 cents. At that point, it didn't really matter to me. It was an experience to say the least. It automatically opens and closes for you. Once you are done you have to press a button to be let out. I thought I was going to be beamed to some space ship as the door closed. It takes two minutes and cleans the entire room before the next person can use it. I guess it is probably one of the cleanest bathrooms in Ireland though. Europe can be weird at times. 
 The group at church in Cork.
Blarney Castle.
 Kissing the Blarney Stone.
 More of Blarney Castle.
 Cobh.
The funny bathrooms in Cobh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment