Wednesday, June 20, 2012

I am in Ireland! I think...

     It doesn't feel like I am in a different country. Some times I get the glimpse of, "oh my goodness I am in Ireland" but it really just looks like it could fit in right into the US. Actually right into Oregon! Well besides people driving on the other side of the streets and the accents. But so far the trip has been great. Quite exhausting though. I can barely keep my eyes awake. Partially due to the fact I am not sure how many hours I have actually slept in the past 24. I wouldn't let myself go to sleep while on the bus even though it was rocking me asleep like a baby in a cradle.
    The flights over were pretty uneventful. Well besides the mad dash sprint we had to do in the London airport to make our flight to Shannon! We had an hour between flights but when we got to the monitor to see where our gate was it said that the flight was closing! This was twenty or thirty minutes before it was suppose to take off so we thought we had time! Once we read that sign we started to run. I had a backpack purse and duffel bag to keep track on. And oh my goodness the London airport never ends. It was like a snake, I mean I swear we ran in circles. Once we thought we had made it to the gate it was like 5 more minutes of running away. While we were running we kept hearing, "last call for Shannon." Luckily, we made it! I am kind of glad I had that experience just to say that I have booked it through an airport to make a flight but it is definitely not something I want to do again.
    As far as things being different over here. So far the food that I have had to eat tastes way better. Maybe it is just because I am super hungry. But I had Irish yogurt, baguette and cheese. And it all tastes amazing. The Euros are way more pretty than our dollar bills. They are colorful and shiny and look like play money. Everyone seems to be a lot quieter. Even in the huge London airport everyone seemed to be hush hush while in line. Nothing like airports in America. 
    We went to the Cliffs of Moher today. And by we, I mean the six of us students who are here and our professors and their families. Apparently a lot of the girls got stuck in Chicago as their plane was delayed. They still haven't arrived either. I feel bad that they have been traveling so much. They must be exhausted. The Cliffs of Moher are incredible and beautiful. They are so tall and majestic. It was fun to walk around them and take pictures. I didn't even mind when it suddenly down poured on us and we got soaked.
    So far, with the few hours I have been here, it has been great. To be honest, it feels a little empowering to know I can do something like this on my own. I can travel far away and be okay. I also can have good self control of not falling asleep when my body thinks it is 2am in Oregon. Adventures like this only come once in a lifetime so I am glad I was strong enough to take the leap and come. It will be interesting to see what my next few days have in store for me.
Made it!
 Cliffs of Moher!
 Not sure if I consider this my first castle... but look! It is old!
 Rainy but beautiful!
View from the other side.
So many cows in Ireland. A mix of  Oregon and Texas if you ask me. Maybe I need to travel more...
Most of the group from today!

No comments:

Post a Comment