Monday, June 25, 2012

I Must Become a Butler or a Drummer

   We left Cork this morning to head to Kilkenny. It is crazy how much they keep us moving around. The longest we have ever stayed in one place is two nights! The day started off by going Cahir Castle. Yup, another castle! I feel like I am becoming a castle snob. I can say things like, "well this castle is alright but not as good as the last one." Really? It is a castle! They are all amazing! This castle was used as a fortress. There were many spots for arrows to be shot through and different places for pots of boiling water to be dropped on the enemy. The Butler family reigned in the castle for most of its existence. The guide told stories of fights and ways to kill the enemy during our tour. It gave a different feel while walking around the castle. Obviously I know this stuff happened but I still have the little girl mindset of fairy tales and princesses. But it was neat to get a different perspective. 
   The next stop was surprisingly not a castle. Though it looked like one. it was the Rock of Cashel. It is a big limestone hill that sits five religious buildings. When we first got there a few of us from the group just sat on the grass at the top of the hill and soaked in the sunshine and beautiful landscape. It was nice to just sit  and take a in a moment of bliss. It was one of those moments when you realize how blessed we are. To be here, in beautiful Ireland, looking over the scenery with friends. A blissful moment. The buildings at the Rock of Cashel are all have very interesting stories. A few of the buildings had no roofs. At one point there was a tax on all buildings that had roofs. The Bishop told them to take off the roofs so he wouldn't have to pay the tax! He also did not like having to keep paying for new stain glass windows so he had the windows made smaller. 
   Our last stop was to Kilkenny castle. This was also owned by the Butler family. Obviously the Butler's are where it is at! I need to find me one of my own! They own all the awesome places here in Ireland. This castle was unique because it was last restored by the family in the Victorian time period. It was originally made from timber before it was made out of stone. It was gigantic! We got there later than we were thinking and so the rushed us through it. We still had 30 minutes before it was suppose to close but every time I looked over the employee was staring us down. It didn't matter though because the castle was fun to see but it was still just a castle. I know I have plenty more in my future! All I know is that the Butler family had it made. They owned the castle for 600 years!
    Once we had made it to our hotel we were set free to do what we pleased. Jessica, Ann, Miranda, McKenna, and I went to find somewhere to eat. We ended up at Kyteler's Inn which had some live Irish Drum music. When we went in we did not know we would end up being a part of the entertainment! Damien, the drum master, called down people in the pub for a mini lesson on how to play the Irish drums to some Irish music. It was great fun.
   It is safe to say, now with it being the end of the day, I am exhausted! It is amazing how much we can pack in to one day in Ireland. 
 When I was listening to the tour guide I might have also been thinking of cute places to take pictures.
 Got to start learning how to run my castles.
 Rock of Cashel.
 Blissful moment.
 Rock of Cashel cemetery.
Our bus! Our home away from home.
 Kilkenny Castle.
  Anne and I were pro at drumming. 
 Damian our drum instructor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment