Wednesday, June 27, 2012

See Ya Later, Ireland

   This morning started off a little differently. Jessica and I were off to breakfast and the directions were unclear on where we were supposed to eat. We ended up going to this cafeteria but no one checked to see if we were actually suppose to be there. Well it turns out that was not the place we were told to eat. Basically, we "snuck" into some college cafeteria ate some food and left. Oops. Maybe it was because we fit in with all the other students that were there. Oh the things that happen on this trip. We then found where we were actually meant to be and had a second breakfast. I am definitely not going to complain!
   The first place we went to visit was The Book of Kells at Trinity College Library in Dublin. The Book of Kells was written over 1000 years ago. This was definitely a stop for the more linguisticly inclined but I ended up really enjoying myself. The colors and drawings they included in the book were beautifully done. The four gospels are written in the book with gorgeous decorations. After looking through the exhibit you walk upstairs to the Long Room. This is a huge, beautiful library that I want in my future home. Unfortunately we were not allowed to take pictures but think along the lines of Beauty and the Beast and you're there.
   We had some extra time to roam around the college before our next stop. This led to a little bit different, but definitely just as exciting, find. College guys playing Cricket! I must admit, I know nothing about this sport but it was very fun to watch them practice and try to make up rules about what they were doing. I'll have to look up what they actually do rather than just enjoying the view haha.
    The next visit was to Kilmainham Jail. It was a jail used during the Irish Revolution. The tour and jail was very intriguing. Our tour guide ended up being a member of our same church! She saw we were coming from BYU and decided to take our group on the tour. She even took us to places she said she doesn't normal take groups. The whole experience was very eye opeing. It made me very grateful for the life I have had. She told a story of a couple where the man, Joseph was incarcerated for being a leader of the revolution. He was engaged to Grace and asked for permission to be married before he was executed. They were married in the jail's church and then she had to leave. During the ceremony they were not allowed to talk and only could say their marriage vows. Nothing else. She was then able to return two hours later for a total of ten minutes. The gaurd at the door counted down the minutes. She then waited outside the jail until she heard the shots of guns. She never remarried. It was this story among others that brought the jail's history to life. The history of Ireland is very interesting. If you don't know much about it yet I encourage you to read up on it.
   After having a few hours to wander around Dublin we went as a group to see River Dance. It was much more than I expected. Phenomenal Irish dancing but the whole show of it was even better. From hip tap dances, sassy flamingo dancers to a just as sassy violin soloist. The dancers were amazing, the music was amazing. And that is such an understatement. I wish everyone could see what I saw tonight.  
   Today was our last day in Ireland. Who knows if I will ever get the opportunity to return. I have loved my time here. I really have seen all sides of the island. It has been nothing but beautiful and the people have been so kind as they welcomed the awkward american tourist we are.
 Exploring Trinity College.
 Cricket in the courtyard. 
Kilmainham Jail. 
 The chapel where Joseph and Grace were married.

 Natural History Museum in Dublin.
Riverdance.

No comments:

Post a Comment