Saturday, June 23, 2012

My new place in Ireland!

    We went to Mukross House today. And it is official, I found my new home in Ireland. And when it is called a house, it is very misleading. It is a mansion with 10,000 acres! The Herbert family were the first to live there. They invited Queen Victoria and she accepted the invitation. They prepared six years for her arrival! She stayed two days and brought 100 of her people to the house. It was simply fantastic. They had many of the same furniture that was used for the Queen's stay. I loved wondering around the grounds and did not even care that it was rainy. We had a good time pretending we lived there. We fantasized about Pride and Prejudice and Mr. Darcy. 
    Before we made it to Muckross house we took a jaunting carriage ride through Killarney's national park which Ross Castle is apart of. The whole day seemed like we were set in a different time period and that we were in a fairy tale.
    After those wonderful sites we made our way to Cork, Ireland. We are staying here for two nights. The view from our window in the hotel looks along the water front with cute shops and beautiful cathedrals in the background. Cork is a bigger city and we were able to walk around the shops and restaurants.
    I am loving my time! Finally being in a bigger city makes me more excited for London. I love the country side atmosphere but cities are so fun. It is great to talk to locals and see what there is to do around when we have free time. Only thing I could ask for is a little bit of sun! I mean, I am on a summer study abroad right?
 Carriage ride. Our horse's name was Pepsi Cola.
 Ross Castle. 
 Doesn't it look like I belong?
 My new place!
 Part of the group at Muckross House. 
View from our place in Cork!

No comments:

Post a Comment