Sunday, September 29, 2013

Sunday, September 22, 2013
Today was Kirk's last day here at the Row. He graduated and is going back home to Hawaii so Erin and I had to say goodbye. Something a little funnier happened that night though, we got Chandler to try on some elephant pants and he loved them. They should sell them here. There is definitely a market for them!

Monday, September 23, 2013
Someone new has stolen our hearts here in EC12. Cam's puppy, Oakley! She is the cutest little ball of energy. While Cam was in class this morning I was able to puppysit her. It was the best four hours. 

Tuesday, September 24, 2013
 So much fun in math class.
Intramural season is back! At Shelley's game. 

Wednesday, September 25, 2013
Last year Shelley and I had our first chocolate of the season together and I guess it is going to be a tradition because it happened again! Kinda sad it is only September though...

Thursday, September 26, 2013
The trek I have been helping plan for my ward is about here and I went shopping with my Bishop and his wife to get snacks for along the way. It is safe to say we bought a lot of food and will be well fed as we walk 27 or so miles. 

Friday, September 27, 2013
Our new favorite game to play as a friend group is What Are the Odds? Basically you come up with some scenario and the person who would have to do it whispers the number from 1-10 of them actually doing it and then someone else guesses their number. If they guess right the person has to do it! Tonight, Shelley had to put on Brodrick's clothes. 

Saturday, September 28, 2013
 My wonderful co-chair Jordan!
I am currently serving as family history co-chair in my ward. When my Bishop presented me with the idea to trek from Alpine to Salt Lake City starting at 2am in honor of our ancestors I thought he was crazy. And he kind of was because it was hard. A lot harder than I expected. At about mile 6 or 7 my hip started to hurt and it only got worse from there. For 20 more miles most of us walked in pain. My biggest concern when planning this trek was that no one would come. Oh boy was I wrong. It is because I live in the best ward ever. I honestly think if you would have done this in another YSA ward here in Provo you would have gotten 20 people to go. I mean, walking for 27 miles through the middle of the night is not a normal fun activity. But the people in my ward are amazing. I am glad to have my walking buddy Erin. We had a lot of fun kicking a flip flop for a mile or so and made our own modern handcarts in a shopping parking lot. People sung songs and just talked and talked. I think everyone had an incredible experience. I have never been so excited to see the temple before. My body ached in ways I didn't know it could. When I got home I had to crawl up my three flights of stairs. We all looked crazy once we made it to the Lion House. We were all limping and hunched over like the elderly. I swear we would have made a great cast in a zombie movie. We walked for about 11 hours. Those who have run a marathon said that walking it was actually more difficult because of how long it is. You are using the same muscles over and over. Once we went over the mountain and got to Draper we were on 1300 East until we got to Salt Lake. It is seriously insane what we did. Why did we do it? John Moyle was a stone cutter for the Salt Lake Temple. He carved the "More Holiness to the Lord" above the temple doors. He made this walk each week from his home to come work for the temple. As members of the church we have a large legacy of faith and determination. Did I mention that John Moyle also did it with one leg and a peg leg? Because he did. So for our trip we walked in honor of our ancestors. I walked in honor of my great grandma, Mercy. I will never in my life do that again but it was definitely an experience I will never forget and would never replace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment