Saturday, August 4, 2012

Scottish Ending

   The Fringe. I must be honest. I had not heard of this festival before coming on this study abroad. But apparently it is a pretty big deal. But let me explain what it entails to those of you who might not know! It is a four week long festival that happens every year in Edinburgh. It mainly happens along the Royal Mile with the Edinburgh castle at the end. There are many street performers out and then there are also shows going on in different venues. There is music, theatrics, comedies and pretty much anything you would want for entertainment. Some are free, some cost money it is just a big party. There is definitely always something to do and see. I honestly love street performers. I just love to be outside watching people make others laugh and smile and whatever. It is great. And can you believe it? The sun was shining! This is rare for Scotland and even rarer for the Fringe Festival. I was very thankful for it. So that is how I spent most of my day in Edinburgh. It was a great way to see the city.

   We ended the night with a bang. Quite literally with fireworks at the end. We went to the Military Tattoo. Okay, I must admit, this is another big deal which I had not known much about beforehand. This is a show that happens in Edinburgh on the weekends during the Fringe. The Edinburgh castle is the backdrop to the entire show. Let’s just say the beginning was the most Scottish thing I will ever see if my life. A hundred or more bagpipers come out to start the show. Kilts and all. It was awesome. I don’t even know how to describe what the entire Tattoo captures. Basically, it is a show that celebrates military from around the world in a military marching band type style. It was incredible. There were cool graphics that would be displayed on the castle. There was traditional Scottish music as well as the United States Navy performed a superhero type theme. Today was kind of our last real day during our study abroad and it was fun to go out with fireworks and Scottish music and a huge performance. And I am once again please to report that it did not rain, which is a definite plus because it is outside in grand stands. After the performance, Meg, Anne and I skipped, ran and laughed our way through the Royal Mile.

 Edinburgh is pretty cute. We did a little shopping before the Fringe.
 Olympics every day all day!
 Princes Garden.
 The Fringe and street performers are great.
 This is where J.K Rowling started writing Harry Potter!


Military Tattoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment